Date(s) - 21/04/2017
9:00 am - 12:00 pm
As advised to riders
Whether you want to start riding to work or just around Canberra for fitness – a bike rider’s best weapon is confidence.
Understanding your equipment and how and when to use your gears, your own personal strengths and weaknesses on the bike, not knowing how to ride safely on the road or knowing people to ride with are often reasons why a person might not want to use their bike for transport or fitness.
Our New Horizons program has been tailored for people who want to find confidence on the bike so they are capable of riding anywhere and more often, while meeting like-minded people to join in their bike riding journey with.
75% of respondents from our last New Horizons course said they now feel more confident on the bike after participating in the program.
The next New Horizons program will be 15 March – May 17, 2017. There will be no program the week of April 10 for Easter. To register your interest, please fill in the contact form below to be added to the expression of interest list. You will be notified when registrations open for the next course.
Existing Pedal Power members will enjoy a discounted course rate of $275 and non-members will be able to purchase a joint membership and program package for $335.
About the program
New Horizons is a cycling development program that will:
- help you gain confidence and enjoyment in riding your bike
- teach bike safety principles and bike handling skills
- show you how to look after yourself and your bike
- help you become comfortable riding your bike on bike paths
- teach road safety skills and traffic awareness in low traffic environments
The riding skills sessions and the rides are all conducted by qualified cycling instructors and accompanied by experienced cyclists. They are on shared cycle pathways and some on-road sections with the distance increasing for each ride. There is always a café stop along the way for refreshments and a chat.
To participate in New Horizons you need:
- a bicycle in good working order;
- a helmet that is under 3 years old, undamaged and complies with the Australian/New Zealand standards;
- to be able to ride a bike (but that need not be very far or with much confidence);
- willing to learn by participation;
- to want to improve riding knowledge techniques and proficiency
For more information and to register interest please go to http://www.pedalpower.org.au/projects/new-horizons/