If you have been involved in any sort of crash, with another party or not, you should take as many of these actions as you can at the time to assist with any claim you may make:

  • Call 131444 for the police and, if you are injured, call 000 for the ambulance.
  • Don’t say that the crash was your fault.
  • Get the other party’s name and address, plus vehicle registration number and insurance details if a motor vehicle is involved.
  • If the other party takes off, note as many relevant details as you can remember: Make and model, registration number, etc.
  • Take names, telephone numbers and addresses of any witnesses.
  • Note, and ask witnesses to confirm, how the crash occurred and the likely cause.
  • Ask witnesses to describe the other party, if any, in case he or she denies being there at the time.
  • If you are not injured and police don’t attend, (patrols do not attend every collision unless there is injury, obstruction to traffic or breach of the peace) report the crash within 24 hours.
  • In order to get the best response from Police we advise that you call the police where you should be re-directed to the Traffic Operations section. It is more likely that the person will then be able to treat the complaint with the seriousness that it deserves.
  • You may be required to complete a form and will be explained the process that may be required in order to seek a conviction. Pedal Power encourages you to be diligent about reporting any incident, as it should be taken seriously. Request a copy of the form and it will be provided.
  • If you are injured, get checked out by a doctor and photograph any visible injuries.
  • If possible take photographs of the crash site that highlight relevant details.
  • Keep any damaged clothing and bike parts and try to obtain a written assessment of the condition and replacement cost of any damaged items.
  • If you incur any expenses as a direct result of the crash, make sure you keep a full record of these along with receipts where appropriate.

Please note these are only guidelines and if you were unable to follow any of these but were still involved in a crash please don’t hesitate to email us or phone 6248 7995.

If you are a current financial member of Pedal Power, you should be covered by Pedal Power ACT insurance. Please email us or phone 6248 7995 if you need our help following a crash.

If you are not sure what to do, or what your rights are, contact us and we will give you the contact details of a lawyer.

Download our crash advice flyer.


Pedal Power ACT membership

Pedal Power ACT is the largest cycling organisation in Australia’s Capital Territory.

We represent the interests of people who already ride bicycles and those who would like to.

We are all about supporting the community to be active and providing opportunities to do so.

Our rider's insurance covers members anytime they are on a bike, anywhere in the world - 24/7.

Become a member of Pedal Power

Latest news

Upcoming events