Pedal Power ACT is looking for a Communications Manager to work with the CEO, staff, volunteers and other stakeholders to help the organisation achieve its mission to get more Canberra cycling more often, for a better community.
Communications Manager – Position Description
Pedal Power ACT is the largest cycling organisation in the ACT whose mission is to get more Canberrans cycling, more often. We are a not for profit membership-based organisation with around 7800 members, representing the interests of Canberra bike-riders. We promote the many benefits of cycling for individuals, the community and the environment. Our team is made up of paid and volunteer staff who are all committed to making Canberra a more bike-friendly city.
We are looking for a highly motivated Communications Manager who will be responsible for all of Pedal Power ACT’s internal and external communications.
The successful applicant must have experience in a communications role and share our commitment to making Canberra a more bike friendly city. This is a challenging and diverse role which provides the opportunity to develop a wide range of communications skills and make a positive impact on the community and the environment.
- Development and implementation of Pedal Power’s Communications Strategy
- Management of all Pedal Power publications including:
- managing multiple social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- compiling, writing and publishing weekly/fortnightly e-newsletter
- overseeing publication of member magazine the Canberra Cyclist
- overseeing review of Canberra Cyclist magazine
- sourcing and writing content for the Canberra Cyclist
- liaising with and sourcing magazine advertisers
- writing media releases
- planning, producing and distributing promotional materials
- Management of Pedal Power’s websites including:
- reviewing and updating online content
- writing, publishing and disseminating new online content
- liaising with IT suppliers to ensure website domains and hosted sites are appropriately maintained and updated
- overseeing completion of project to transition Pedal Power’s program and event websites to single web platform
- marketing and promoting of Pedal Power products and services including:
- marketing memberships, courses, programs ride and events
- developing and delivering marketing plans for major events
- coordinating development of pricing strategies
- coordinating market research and development of products and services
- promoting partner and sponsor relationships
- Management of external communications relationships including:
- engaging with existing and potential sponsors and partners
- developing and strengthening relationships with local media
- liaising with media to market pedal power activities
- issuing media releases on Pedal Power activities and cycling issues
- acting as a Pedal Power spokesperson when required
- Management of the organisation’s brand including:
- raising profile of Pedal Power as leading cycle advocacy organisation
- raising profile of CEO as public spokesperson on cycling issues
- developing and managing sub-brands of flagship events Big Canberra Bike Ride, Fitz’s Challenge and Cycle Works challenge
- ensuring consistency in public messaging on advocacy agenda
- developing style guide for online and printed communications materials
- ensuring consistent application of style guide across all publications
- Monitoring and reporting on communications activities to CEO and Board (monthly)
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well within a small team of staff and volunteers to achieve shared objectives.
- Minimum two years’ experience in a communications role.
- Experience developing communications and/or marketing plans.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain positive relationships with stakeholders, partners, sponsors and media.
- Strong organisational skills and demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Resourcefulness and initiative when working on multiple projects with small budgets.
- High-level IT skills and experience managing a website.
- Understanding of cycle advocacy issues and a commitment to Pedal Power’s mission of getting more Canberrans cycling more often.
- Qualifications in communications or a related field.
- Skills in graphic design, image processing, Adobe suite, WordPress, Buffer or Mailchimp
- Experience identifying and building strategic relationships with potential partners and sponsors.
Download position description
The role is full time with a salary range of $70 - $75 000 (including superannuation), commensurate with experience. Applications close COB Monday 25 March for a position commencing end of April.
For more information or to submit an application contact Ian Ross, CEO, Pedal Power ACT on email@example.com or 6248 7995.