Tom Campbell’s Central Canberra Ride

News 0 80

 Central Canberra Sightseeing: A Classic Pedal Power Sunday Social Ride

Starting at Acton Ferry Terminal

 

Ride Leader: Tom Campbell

 

Start at Acton Ferry Terminal.

 

MONUMENT TO GRENFELL RUDDOCK (1914-1964). Town planner and architect, who helped to build Canberra. Born Dromana, Vic, on 19 September 1914. Came to Canberra to the Dept of Post War Reconstruction in April 1943 working on plans for housing. Joined the NCDC in March 1958 as Associate Commissioner and during the 1950s worked with senior ANU people on the design of the ANU. Died 19 December 1964 in East Melbourne. Buried Dromona.

 

Go south over Commonwealth Ave Bridge. Veer right to behind the Albert Hall and Hotel Canberra.

 

KATY BENDER MEMORIAL. A memorial in Lennox Gardens to Katie Bender, a 17 year old young woman accidentally killed by flying debris when the Royal Canberra Hospital was demolished by an explosion (that was supposed to be an implosion) on 13 July 1997. David Lennox (1788-1873) was an early bridge builder in NSW and Victoria. A crossing over the Molonglo River nearby was known as Lennox Crossing.

 

NARA SISTER CITY MEMORIAL. This memorialises the sister city relationship between Canberra and Nara Japan, the ancient capital city of Japan from 710 to 784.

 

AUSTRALIANS IN THE SPANISH CIVIL WAR 1936-1939. The monument honours the 70 Australian men and women who participated on the losing side of the Popular Front Government which fought against the Nationalist Forces of General Franco when they enacted a coup d’etat.

 

A MEMORIAL BY THE JEWISH NATIONAL FUND. This memorial was erected by the Jewish National Fund on 22 August 2001 to commemorate the centenary of Australian Federation and the centenary of the Jewish National Fund.

 

THE ACT CHAPTER OF PEN INTERNATIONAL MEMORIAL. Remembers writers who have fought for freedom of speech by their letter writing in defence of named individuals. The tree planted at the spot remembers Kenule Beeson, a Nigerian playwright 1941-1995. A detailed CV in Wikipedia. Plaque laid 17 November 1996 by Gary Humphries as ACT Chief Minister.

 

Go up the side of Parliament House. Cross around the back and go to the House of Representatives entrance

 

CHINESE LIONS. Presented to the Australian Government by the Chinese Government 1988.

 

MENORAH. A gift of the Israeli Knesset to the Australian Parliament 1988.

 

BALI MEMORIAL. Commemorates the Bali bombing 12 October 2002. Unveiled by the Australian Prime Minister John Howard 16 October 2003.

 

NEW PARLIAMENT HOUSE EXHIBITION BUILDING (in place 1981-1990). Below the House of Representative parliamentary gardens there are three stones as a memorial to the Exhibition Building located at that site for explanations about the new Parliament House, the building officially opened 21 October 1981 by Michael Hodgman, Minister for Territories.

 

Go to the front of the Parliament

 

RETURNED SERVICES LEAGUE FOUNTAIN. This monument was given to the people of Australia by the Returned Services League in 1988 in memory of all the fallen. Located in the north eastern corner of the forecourt. The monument is inscribed Look around you. These are the things they believed in.

 

CWA OF AUSTRALIA SUNDIAL. Technically an Armillary Sphere. Presented to the Australian Parliament by the Country Women’s Association of Australia for the opening of New Parliament House in 1988. Located in the north western corner of the forecourt. An example of an Armillary Sphere sundial (there is another in the Australian National Botanic Gardens). The time is shown on the equatorial ring by the shadow of the gnomon.

 

COMMEMORATION STONE. The official stones placed in the base of what was intended as the commemoration monument on 12 March 1913, at the formal creation of Canberra. This base was moved to its present location on 12 March 1988. There are three stones, laid by Governor General Lord Denman, Prime Minister Andrew Fisher, and Minister for Territories King O’Malley. Lady Denman then named the city ‘Canberra’.

 

Go down to West Block. Go to the east side of West Block

 

THE BICYCLE SHED. East and West Blocks were built at a time when many public servants rode to and from work. This shed was built in context with the major office building.

 

THE UNDERGOUND SECURE COMMUNICATIONS ROOM. This room was built in case of attack on the main building. Note the emergency external door and stairs on West Block. Note the second entrance to the Underground Bunker.

 

Return to Queen Victoria Terrace. Enter the Parliamentary Gardens.

 

THE SENATE GARDENS. There are gardens on both the Senate and House of Representative sides of the old Parliament House (as in the new Parliament House). Roses are the significant flowers, with many rose gardens presented by individuals or representative groups. There are tennis courts in both gardens. There is a bowling green in the House of Representative Gardens. There was a squash court built in the House of Representative Gardens when the sport was very popular, especially with Prime Minister William McMahon.

 

Exit the Senate Gardens through the western gate.

 

MAGNA CARTA PLACE. Erected in honour of the Magna Carta. Australia has one of the very few remaining copies, on display in Parliament House. The monument was a gift from the British Government to Australia for the centenary of federation. Monument unveiled in 2000 by John Howard, Prime Minister. Australia owns a 1297 copy of Magna Carta, displayed in Parliament House. Site dedicated on 12 October 1997 by Sir Gerard Brennan Chief Justice, on the 700th anniversary of the sealing of the copy of Magna Carta owned by Australia. Monument dedicated on 26 September 2001 by Prime Minister John Howard. Completed site re-dedicated in 2007 on 700th anniversary of sealing of Magna Carta by King Edward I.

 

Ride north to King George Terrace.

 

THE GEORGE V MEMORIAL. Erected by the people of Australia to commemorate the reign of King George V from May 1910 to January 1936. As Duke of York he came to Australia in 1901 for the declaration of the creation of the Commonwealth in Melbourne. Originally located in the centre opposite the main door of the Provisional Parliament House, then moved to the side so as not to interrupt the direct line of view between the parliament and the Australian War Memorial.

 

Ride across to the front entrance of the Treasury on Langton Crescent

 

PLAQUE COMMEMORATING THE CENTENARY OF THE PASSING OF THE PENSIONS ACT 1908. The plaque records the centenary of the passing by the parliament of the Invalid and Old Age Pensions Act 1908, with pensions commencing in 1909.

 

Ride to the front of the National Library of Australia and past the building

 

PEACE PARK. Dedicated by Governor General Bill Hayden on 24 October 1990 to commemorate the United Nations International Year of Peace 1986. The memorial is inscribed with the word ‘Peace’ in the five languages of the United Nation. English, French, Spanish, Russian and Arabic.

 

Go back to the front of Questacon – the Lake side

 

 

STOLEN GENERATION MEMORIALS. There are two large memorials to the group of people known as the Stolen Generation in the path in front of Questacon.

 

STATUE: THE ASTRONOMER. This statue was built from recovered materials after the Mount Stromlo observatory was burnt down in the January 2003 bushfires.

 

Move to the International Flag Display and the path down through the central area

 

CANADA’S GIFT TO AUSTRALIA FOR THE CENTENARY OF FEDERATION 2001. The display comprises images of the night sky over Canada and Australia on 21 September each year. The display was officially opened by Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien and Australian Prime Minister John Howard on 22 July 2002.

 

INTERNATIONAL FLAG DISPLAY. The International Flag Display is dedicated to the United Nations and contains the flags of all the countries represented in Australia. The Flag Display was officially opened by Governor General Sir William Deane on 26 January 1999.

 

Return to the Lakeside path. Proceed east to the National Gallery ramp. Proceed to the sculpture garden

 

BURGHERS OF CALAIS. Artist Auguste Rodin. Commemorates the rescue of Calais in 1347. The first macquette was produced in 1883. Relates the story of the six prosperous leaders of Calais, dressed only in sackcloth and bound by a halter, about to set off for the camp of England’s King Edward II to sacrifice themselves in return for the lifting of the devastating 11 month long siege of Calais. The first casts were made in 1889, four being made during Rodin’s lifetime, located at Calais, Brussels, Copenhagen and London. Later casts are at Paris, Philadelphia, Pasadena, Tokyo, Basel, Washington, and Canberra.

 

Ride to the corner of Walpole Crescent and Queen Victoria Crescent

 

THE STATUES OF JOHN CURTIN AND BEN CHIFLEY. These are statues of the two Labor Party Prime Ministers of Australia before, during and immediately after World War II.

 

Ride along National Circuit to Blackall St Barton. Turn left to Liberal Party of Australia headquarters.

 

NATIONAL PARTY HEADQUARTERS. The National Country Party headquarters are at the corner of National Circuit and Blackall St, named John McEwen House.

 

AUSTRALIAN LABOR PARTY HEADQUARTERS. The headquarters of the Australian Labor Party are at the corner of National Circuit and Brisbane Avenue, named John Curtin House.

 

LIBERAL PARTY HEADQUARTERS. Erected in 1965 as the Liberal Party’s headquarters, this building was refurbished and renamed R G Menzies House in 1994. Note the bust of Robert Gordon Menzies in front of the building.

 

Return to the Kings Avenue corner along Macquarie Street

 

THE STATUE OF EDMUND BARTON, AUSTRALIA’S FIRST PRIME MINISTER. Known affectionately during his lifetime as Tosspot Toby this statue presents a more lithe image of Australia’s first Prime Minister than reality.

 

Go to the Australian Centre for Christianity and Culture

 

BIBLICAL GARDENS. In the lower portion of the site there are gardens containing the plants mentioned in the bible.

 

Cross Kings Avenue. Cross Lake Burley Griffin. Go to the National Police Memorial

 

NATIONAL POLICE MEMORIAL. Dedicated on 29 September 2006, the Feast of St Michael, patron of police services, by John Howard, Prime Minister.

 

Note Merchant Navy and Royal Australian Navy memorials before riding past Blundell’s Cottage to the Emergency Services Memorial

 

BATTLE OF TRAFALGAR MEMORIAL OAK TREE. A commemorative oak tree planted 21 October 2005 to acknowledge the 500th anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar. Planted near one planted by Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent in September 1964, grown from acorn seeds presented by the British High Commission in 1962.

 

STANLEY MELBOURNE BRUCE MEMORIAL. A plaque commemorating the scattering of the ashes over Lake Burley Griffin of Stanley Melbourne Bruce (1883-1967), Prime Minister. That was done from an RAAF aircraft that flew over Canberra on 20 March 1968.

 

Go through the tunnel under Parkes Way to the front gate of St John’s church, Reid

 

GRAVE OF VISCOUNT DUNROSSIL, GOVERNOR GENERAL. Viscount Dunrossil (William Morrison) (1893-1961) was Governor General of Australia when he died in Canberra on 3 February 1961. Buried St John’s Church Reid. His wife died back in England in 1983 and her ashes are interred in her husband’s grave.

 

Proceed up Anzac Parade to the Australian War Memorial coffee shop.

 

END OF RIDE.

 

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmail

Related Posts

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Latest News & Comments

Choose a Category

News Archives