It is now common knowledge that employees who are healthy and active are far more productive at work than their sedentary colleagues. With cycle commuting a low-impact, time efficient way to increase physical activity, investing in your cycling facilities for your staff may be the best investment your workplace makes:
- Increase workforce productivity
- Decrease absenteeism
- Raise the health, moral and enthusiasm
- Decrease lifestyle-related disorders
- Improve your profile with potential employees
Further benefits to the workplace are:
- Decreased traffic congestion around the workplace. Fostering cycling in the workplace is a way of promoting your organisation as an employee-friendly workplace that takes the environment seriously. Cycling just 10km each way to work instead of driving saves 1.3 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions each year (Bicycle Network Australia).
- Decreased need for parking spaces as 10 bicycles can be parked in one car space. This can save hundreds of thousands of dollars as $25,000 to $30,000 is the average cost of building one car space in a multi-level complex.
- Reduce car fleet, taxi and petrol costs to the workplace.
And all these benefits can come at a cost your cost your organisation that is less than a typical worker in Civic pays out every year on parking.