All Pedal Power ACT rides must be advertised in the events calendar and details of rides in that calendar are included in the Canberra Cyclist magazine and the e-bulletin (News Wheel). Additionally, some ride leaders and/or ride coordinators advertise ride details to people on their email list.
Some of the regular Pedal Power ACT rides are advertised in a standard format for the particular ride with the ride leader or ride coordinator only needing to change details of the ride leader, contact, route and destination.
On this page:
- Add ride to the events calendar on this website
- Magazine rides and events calendar in the Canberra Cyclist prepared and distributed by Pedal Power ACT
- eBulletin rides calendar prepared and distributed by Pedal Power ACT
Add ride to the events calendar
The ride proponent (leader or coordinator) enters the ride details into the ride and event calendar via ‘submit a ride or event’.
Send photos and attachments for inclusion with the ride details to the rides and events coordinator.
The event details in the website rides and calendar and any related email messages should include (as appropriate as not all rides need every detail):
- a brief description of the ride including any key aspects or theme
- distance of ride and any subsections – if not sure, say ‘no more than …’
- the likely speed of the ride (give a range or minimum average)
- route description, cue sheet or map (in content or as attachment or via a link)
- route profile—description of terrain or profile image (in content or as attachment or via a link)
- rate the ride in the Pedal Power ACT grading system (or a grading system included in the event details)
- location of water, food and toilets along the route
- because the majority of rides offer some opportunity to buy refreshments, specifically indicate if this is not the case for longer rides
- road surface types; eg, sealed, unsealed (describe surface condition expected), off-road; single track
- type of bikes considered adequate (or mandatory) for the ride (particularly if off-road)
- whether any particular types of bikes are not permitted; eg, electric-assist bikes, trikes, bikes with trailers, etc
- any particular requirements, eg, lights, additional water
- an estimated duration or finish time
- description of any support provided or include the words ‘this ride is ‘unsupported’ and riders are to be self sufficient and provide their own water, food, tools, pump, spares (spokes, tubes, etc.), puncture repair kits, and whatever else they desire and there is no ‘sag wagon’ or equivalent’.
Magazine rides and events calendar
Details of approved rides, from the website calendar, are included in the Rides and Events Calendar in each edition of the Canberra Cyclist magazine. The magazine is published every second month and normally includes the rides and event for the forthcoming two months plus a week or two.
To get a ride into a magazine specific issue, ‘submit a ride or event’ to the calendar before:
- mid-January for February – March issue
- mid-March for April – May issue
- mid-May for June – July issue
- mid-July for August – September
- mid-September for October – November issue
- mid-November for December – January issue
eBulletin (News Wheel) rides calendar
Details of approved rides, from the website calendar, are included in the Pedal Power eBulletin.
The bulletin is published every fortnight and normally includes the rides and event for the forthcoming two to three weeks.
To get a special mention in the eBulletin, send short and snappy details to the eBulletin editor.