Advocating for your issue
If you would like to see improvements in cycling conditions in Canberra, there are a few good places you can start.
Become a Pedal Power advocate
There’s strength in numbers: consider joining one of our advocacy teams. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how we can help you improve cycling conditions.
Put in a Fix My Street request to ACT Government
Let them know directly what issue you would like fixed or improved.
Go straight to the top
The ACT is a small jurisdiction and Members of the Legislative Assembly can be relatively accessible. Your representation can make a real difference to outcomes for cycling.
Here are some tips for writing to an MLA:
- Get to know your MLAs. The ACT Legislative Assembly website lists the MLAs and how to contact them.
- Make sure you check details as MLAs and their portfolios can change.
- Contact all parties. Backbench, opposition and cross bench MLAs may take up the issue with government on your behalf, particularly if it relates to their electorate or portfolio.
- A picture is worth a thousand words. Attach a photo to make it clear what the problem is
- Be concise. Politicians get a lot of correspondence and brevity will help yours stand out from the crowd.
- Be professional. Provide your name and contact details to ensure a reply.
Looking for help to advocate for better cycling facilities in your community? Here are some useful resources to get you started:
Transport for Canberra – transport for a sustainable city 2012 – 2031 – ACT Government March 2012
Active Travel Framework
ACT register of planning guidelines (ACTPLA) –
National Cycling Participation Survey
ACT Road Safety Action Plan 2011-2013 (PDF 1,457Kb )
ACT Trunk Road Infrastructure Standard – No.04 Road Safety
Planning and design
Zero Net Emissions
ACT Design Standards for Urban Infrastructure –MIS05