Pedal Power is proud of the work we have done to help shape the design of our city with its extensive network of paths and cycle lanes, and the role our organisation has played in nurturing Canberra’s active cycling culture.
As a result of our advocacy efforts the ACT has:
- Minimum distance passing laws
- Laws to allow people to cycle over crossings at less than 10 km/hr, the only jurisdiction in Australia where this is permitted
- the best bicycle parking guidelines in Australia
- bike racks on almost every bus in Canberra
- greatly-improved active travel design standards.
- separated cycle infrastructure such as the civic cycle loop, and the planned Belconnen bikeway and Woden bikeway
- a dedicated Active Travel Office in the ACT Government dedicated to increasing walking and cycling in our city.
In recognition of our work, Pedal Power has received multiple national awards from the Cycling Promotion Fund (in 2008, 2004, 2003 and 2002).