This is a repeating eventoctober 28, 2021 9:00 am
Event Details A variety of rides around the suburbs of southern and central Canberra. Most are easy-paced 18-20 km/h with a riding time of 2 to 3 hours. Other rides may
A variety of rides around the suburbs of southern and central Canberra. Most are easy-paced 18-20 km/h with a riding time of 2 to 3 hours. Other rides may involve significant climbing, or travel on fire trails.
Monthly ride schedule
We maintain a monthly program of rides (subject to weather and other conditions):
1st Thursday – shorter local urban rides
- Always start from Sea Scout car park, Mortimer Lewis Drive, Greenway
- Easier suburban rides of around 35 to 50 km on bike paths and quiet roads in Tuggeranong, Woden, South Canberra, Weston Creek, Molonglo
- Suited to a wide variety of bicycles
2nd Thursday – longer country road rides beyond the urban fringe
- A variety of start points
- Harder trips – longer rides, with significant climbs, and majority of ride on country roads
- Suited to road bikes
- An alternate ride from the Sea Scout car park may be organised for those wanting an easier trip or not wishing to venture on country rides
3rd Thursday – longer urban rides
- Always starting from Sea Scout car park, Mortimer Lewis Drive, Greenway
- Suburban rides of around 45 to 65 km on bike paths and quiet roads
- Often heading north of Lake Burley Griffin
- Suited to a variety of bicycles
4th Thursday – Off-bitumen rides
- A variety of start points
- Rides mainly on fire trails and easier MTB tracks with a low to moderate-level of technical difficulty. Ruts, water, sand etc may be encountered
- A mountain or gravel bike with wider tyres is necessary
- An alternate ride from the Sea Scout car park may be organised for those not wishing to ride off-bitumen
5th Thursday (4 times per year) – longer excursion rides
- Various start points
- longer rides which may be roads or trails.
- Often two stops for refreshments
Start Time: 9:00 am
Finish Time: 11:30 am to 12:30 pm
Most rides leave from the car park near Sea Scouts hall, Mortimer Lewis Drive, Greenway
Other start locations may be selected by the leader
We generally stop for morning tea during, or near the end of, a ride
Sun protection is recommended on all rides
Rides are unsupported. Riders need to be self-sufficient and provide their own water, snacks, tools, pump, spares tubes and whatever else is desired. There is no ‘sag wagon’ or equivalent
An email providing ride details is sent weekly to regular participants.
COVID19 PANDEMIC – PLEASE READ!!
Simple steps for riders participating in Pedal Power social rides during current Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
- Use common sense: think how your actions will affect others.
- If you are feeling at all unwell, don’t attend a ride.
- Bring your own pen to sign-on at the start of each social ride. Try to avoid touching the sign on sheet with your hand
- Use hand sanitiser before and after signing-on.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Social distancing is essential during the ride and if you are having a coffee stop. It also applies to pre-and post-ride gatherings.
- Keep up-to-date with official and reputable sources of advice prior to riding with a group:
- ACT Department of Health:
- Federal Department of Health:
- If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 after attending a Pedal Power ride, please notify the office as soon as possible on 02 6248 7995 or email@example.com
Please respect that our Ride Leaders are volunteers. They take all care when conducting a ride but in the end are not responsible for the actions of individual riders. Your Ride Leader may cancel a ride, or request a rider not participate.
Please arrive 15 minutes prior to the listed start time.
Anyone is eligible to join our social rides. You do not have to be a Pedal Power member, however, we recommend you join so that you are covered by our member insurance. Our insurance provides personal accident and public liability cover any time you ride, anywhere in the world.
If you are joining for the first time, contact the listed ride leader and let them know you will be attending. It is your responsibility to choose a ride that is suitable for your skills and fitness.
Please familiarise yourself with our social ride Terms and Conditions before you ride.
(Thursday) 9:00 am - 12:30 pm
Car park near Sea Scouts Mortimer Lewis Dr Greenway (can vary)