Monday, Wednesday & Friday morning social rides Moderately paced rides to destinations around the Canberra suburbs with a leisurely café stop. Occasionally something different like a cultural event. We
Monday, Wednesday & Friday morning social rides
Moderately paced rides to destinations around the Canberra suburbs with a leisurely café stop.
Occasionally something different like a cultural event.
We have way-point markers and tail enders to assist along the way.
Visit Team App for details of each specific ride (noting that starting places & times can vary). If intending to come, please register yourself on Team App. Pedal Power ACT Team App instructions are here. https://www.pedalpower.org.au/wp-content//uploads/2021/08/Pedal-Power-on-Team-App.pdf
Generic Ride Descriptions
Road and path surfaces: sealed roads and paths with occasional short sections of gravel or soil
Routes: on roads and paths in Canberra and the close surrounding region – with a café stop
Ride conditions: Unsupported rides with riders travelling in groups at similar speeds or independently with regrouping stops and waiting for slower riders.
Rider requirements: (a) riders must have reasonable fitness and be capable of riding the stated distances and average speeds; (b) riders must wear an Australian Standards approved helmet and bring water, spare tyre tubes and a pump (and should know how to fix a flat tyre), a basic first aid, etc; (c) riders must ride a bike that can legally be ridden on ACT roads including electric assist bikes; (d) when registering for a ride (via Team App), riders must accept the Pedal Power ACT terms and conditions and social ride release view here. https://www.pedalpower.org.au/rides/rider-terms-and-conditions/.
Average riding speeds, typical distances and special requirements:
There will be regrouping stops during the ride as appropriate to the ride
It is your responsibility to choose a ride that is suitable for your skills and fitness
- Monday Ride – average about 20 ± km/h for 25 to 35 km
- Wednesday Ride A – average about 23 ± km/h for 45 to 60 km – riders to be capable of keeping together (line of sight), riders take turns being route planner and route master
- Wednesday Ride B – average about 21 ± km/h for 50 to 60 km – limited to 20 riders; fewer regroups or markers; riders expected to maintain speed through whole ride; all riders will be rostered to lead a ride.
- Wednesday Ride C – average about 20 ± km/h for 35 to 50 km
- Wednesday Ride D – average about 19 ± km/h for 35 to 45 km
- Friday Morning Ride – average about 20 ± km/h for 35 to 45 km
- Friday Twilight Ride – average about 20 ± km/h for about 20 km – normally only conducted in January, February and March
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday rides – Maribyrnong Avenue car park, opposite Diamantina Crescent, Kaleen, just down from the Caltex Service Station (other starting places may occasionally be used as given in the ride description in Team App)
- Twilight rides – as given in the ride description in Team App
Starting times: 8:00, 8:30 or 9:00 am as given in Team App
Riders should arrive at least 15 minutes before the start time for signing on, hearing the briefing, etc as we intend to ride off at the designated starting time.
Rarely, if an accredited ride leader is not available to lead a ride, those gathering at the starting point can organise a ride of their choice, but the ride will not be a programmed Pedal Power ACT ride.
Please respect that our ride leaders are volunteers. They take all care when conducting a ride but in the end are not responsible for the actions of individual riders. Your ride reader may cancel a ride, or request a rider not participate.
Anyone is eligible to join our social rides. You do not have to be a Pedal Power ACT member, however, we recommend you join so that you are covered by our member insurance. Our insurance provides personal accident and public liability cover any time you ride, anywhere in the world.
(Friday) 8:00 am - 1:00 pm
Maribrynong car park opposite Diamantina Cr Kaleen (just down from Caltex)
Jon McRae 0422 148 email@example.com