Please read the following conditions of entry carefully before completing your registration for the 2019 Fitz’s Challenge event.
These conditions of entry are designed to enable Fitz’s Challenge to run smoothly and safely. By registering to participate in Fitz’s Challenge, you (the ‘Rider’) accept, agree to and are bound by these conditions of entry.
- All Riders (including the second rider on a tandem) must register and accept the Conditions of Entry.
- If the Rider is under the age of 18 on the day of the Fitz’s Challenge, a Parent or Guardian of the Rider must accept the conditions of entry on behalf of the Rider.
- If the Rider is under the age of 18 on the day of the Fitz’s Challenge, a Parent, Guardian or another responsible adult must accompany the Rider throughout the Fitz’s Challenge ride.
- Riders must be 12 years or older on the day of Fitz’s Challenge to participate in Fitz’s Challenge – Pedal Power ACT may grant an exception for very competent riders (after application to Pedal Power ACT).
Modes of transport in Fitz’s Challenge
- Riders are to ride human-powered cycles that are legally permitted on ACT roads. That includes two-wheelers, recumbents, tandems, tricycles, unicycles, kick bikes, three-wheeled racing wheelchairs (for riders with disabilities), etc. You may ride electric power-assisted pedal-cycles (pedalecs) that are legally classified as pedal-cycles on ACT roads.
No private support vehicles
- Private support vehicles are not permitted on the Fitz’s Challenge course during Fitz’s Challenge.
Comply with road rules and use common sense
- During the Fitz’s Challenge, Riders must comply with all traffic and road laws, all directions issued by Police and all instructions given by Pedal Power ACT or any employees or officials representing Pedal Power ACT at the Fitz’s Challenge. Failure to do so may result in removal of the Rider from Fitz’s Challenge.
- In accordance with the law, the Rider must wear an undamaged Australian Standard approved cycling helmet at all times when riding in Fitz’s Challenge. Riders must show that their helmet complies before they can receive their rider pack.
- The Rider when in Fitz’s Challenge must ride and otherwise behave in a safe and responsible manner and use common sense at all times.
- The Rider when in Fitz’s Challenge must exercise caution on all public roads and other thoroughfares and ride defensively and courteously.
Preparation, training, health and safety
- The Rider is responsible for ensuring that he/she is adequately and appropriately prepared, both physically and mentally, for the Fitz’s Challenge. If the Rider has any health issues or doubts prior to the Fitz’s Challenge, he/she should immediately seek appropriate medical advice.
- If the Rider becomes ill or injured during the Fitz’s Challenge, Pedal Power ACT will endeavour to arrange medical transport, usually in an ambulance. Any medical transport will be at the Rider’s expense. (Pedal Power ACT recommends that Riders hold current ambulance service membership and/or health insurance to cover such costs. A valid Pedal Power ACT membership includes public liability and personal accident insurance.)
- The Rider’s human-powered cycle needs to be in a good working condition prior to riding in the Fitz’s Challenge. All human-powered cycles used in the Fitz’s Challenge may need to pass a brief safety check on arrival. If, in the opinion of Pedal Power ACT, a bicycle is unsafe, it cannot be used in Fitz’s Challenge.
Closing dates for entries
- Online entries close on the date given in Fitz’s Challenge website.
- Late entries are accepted at the start of Fitz’s Challenge as given in Fitz’s Challenge website.
Change ride, transfer entry or cancel entry
- A Rider may change ride options after registering by advising Pedal Power ACT and paying the difference in the entry fees between the original ride registered for and for the new ride plus an administration fee of $10.
- A Rider may transfer their entry to another person provided Pedal Power ACT is advised at least one week before the event date and the other person completes an entry form and submits it to Pedal Power ACT and pays an administration fee of $10.
- Full refunds on a cancellation are considered on a case by case basis. General refund rules are:
- 75% refund if cancellation occurs three weeks or more before the event
- 50% refund if cancellation occurs between three weeks and ten days before the event
- No refund if cancellation occurs less than ten days before the event
In the event of the event being cancelled, Pedal Power shall provide the participant with either a credit voucher, or a full refund less an administration charge of $15, with no further liability whatsoever arising from such cancellation
Contact Pedal Power ACT if a refund is required.
- Communications in relation to Fitz’s Challenge will principally be via email. Riders should, therefore, provide a valid email address. If a Rider does not have access to an email address, the Rider should make every effort to read the Fitz’s Challenge website which will be updated as necessary until the date of Fitz’s Challenge.
- It is the Rider’s responsibility to read all information that is made available on the Fitz’s Challenge website, in emails, newsletters and all other literature concerning the Fitz’s Challenge.
Variations to Fitz’s Challenge
- Pedal Power ACT reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to:
- change or vary the route of any of the Fitz’s Challenge rides without notice (such change or variation is only likely to occur when fire, flood, road damage or other causes hinder access to the proposed route);
- cancel, postpone, reschedule or change the time or place for the Fitz’s Challenge or any of the Fitz’s Challenge rides for any reason and at any time prior to the commencement of the Fitz’s Challenge ride; and
- Pedal Power ACT is not responsible for or liable to the Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense, whether direct, indirect, consequential or otherwise and howsoever or wheresoever incurred by the Rider resulting from any such action taken by Pedal Power ACT.
Privacy and photography
- The Rider acknowledges and agrees that he/she may be photographed or filmed during the Fitz’s Challenge and consents to Pedal Power ACT using the Rider’s picture and likeness contained in any photographs or film for publicising the Fitz’s Challenge and for promoting any future ride or event to be staged by Pedal Power ACT or for other purposes by Pedal Power ACT.
- Fitz’s Challenge is an outdoor event and will proceed notwithstanding poor weather conditions on the day of the Fitz’s Challenge. Pedal Power ACT is not liable to any Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind including, but not limited to, refund of entry fees, in the event of poor weather before or during the Fitz’s Challenge.
- Pedal Power ACT reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to refuse to allow a Rider to participate in the Fitz’s Challenge or to remove a Rider from the Fitz’s Challenge for breach of these conditions of entry or if it otherwise determines it appropriate to do so.
- Pedal Power ACT is not liable to any Rider for any loss, damage, cost or expense of any kind, including but not limited to, the refund of the entry fee, including when the Rider is denied access to or is removed from the Fitz’s Challenge for any reason.
- ‘Pedal Power ACT’ means Pedal Power ACT Incorporated ABN 98 440 716 821 and includes where appropriate Pedal Power ACT employees, agents, contractors, officials and volunteers.
Acknowledgement and acceptance of conditions of entry
- The Rider acknowledges and agrees that participation in the Fitz’s Challenge is inherently hazardous and that she/he participates in the Fitz’s Challenge at her/his own risk.
The Rider accepts the following Terms and Conditions of Entry:
- I accept these terms and conditions of entry and have read in full the conditions of entry and insurance guidance.
- I understand that cycling can be a hazardous activity, particularly in traffic or among pedestrians.
- I accept that when riding I am at risk and may suffer or cause injury or property loss or damage. I will take care to avoid injury or damage to others and myself.
- I confirm that I and any children in my care have sufficient competence and experience to participate safely in the Fitz’s Challenge.
- I accept that Pedal Power ACT limits its liability.
- It is a condition of participating in Fitz’s Challenge that I waive, to the extent permitted by law, any claim, right or cause of action which: I personally; and each child in my care; and my heirs, executors and administrators and those of each child in my care may have in contract and civil wrongs law, arising from any personal injury, damage or loss arising out of the ride.
- I accept that this release from liability operates in contract law in favour of Pedal Power ACT Incorporated, and all officers, members, volunteers and employees of Pedal Power ACT and all sponsors of the ride or event and operates whether the damage is due to any act or neglect of any of them.
- I understand that I should have my own personal liability insurance and accident cover and that current financial members of Pedal Power ACT are covered by Pedal Power’s third party legal liability and personal accident insurance policy as outlined in the insurance guidance.
- If a Rider is under 18 years old, an adult must accompany them throughout the ride, unless otherwise agreed in writing by Pedal Power ACT.
- If an entrant is under 18 years old, a parent or guardian must accept the conditions of entry by clicking ‘I accept the terms and conditions of entry’ and paying with their credit card.